What is Holotropic Breathwork?
Holotropic Breathwork is a powerful technique for self-healing and self-exploration allowing for greater self-understanding, expansion of self-identity and access to the roots of emotional and psychosomatic challenges one might face. Holotropic Breathwork comes from the Greek words ‘holos’ (whole) and ‘trepein’ (going to) meaning moving towards wholeness.
Based on extensive research in psychiatric, psychotherapeutic and spiritual settings it had been developed by the psychiatrist and psychotherapist Dr. Stanislav Grof and his wife Christina Grof. It involves a combination of breathing, evocative music, focused energy release work and integration through art work and sharing. However, the healing and transformation powers develop solely through one's connection with the breath diving deep into non-ordinary states of consciousness such as meditative and mystical experiences allowing deep healing and self-empowerment.
Holotropic Breathwork provides access to expanded states of consciousness, in which your own wisdom connects with your inner healing and inner transforming power. This healing wisdom guides the experiences towards those aspects which carry a charge, and are ready to be processed or integrated. HB might be of interest if
- You are seeking a more experiental approach to healing, one that goes beyond talk therapy.
- You are experiencing a major life crisis and seeking deep wisdom and insights.
- You want to release unresolved issues from the past.
- You want to understand the emotional roots of a persistent physical / psychosomatic condition.
- You want to expand your consciousness and further explore your spiritual path.
Here you can find a video describing how Holotropic Breathwork benefits the brain.